Debt freedom is something everybody wants to achieve, but how to get there is another question altogether. In order to reach financial freedom one has to completely change the way we think about money and the way we manage it. This is not to say you have to give up on life’s little luxuries, but there is a good chance that those very luxuries are the reason you are struggling in the first place. You may have to take a long hard look at what you are spending your money on and what is really important in your life.
You should ask yourself the question, ‘Is having things now more important than having a financially secure future?’ In order to reach your dreams in the future, you have to start planning in the present. How you handle your money in the present determines how much of it you saved for the future. There are some extremely basic and simple changes that you can make in your daily life that will help you obtain a financially secure future
These changes include:
1) Stop living off your credit card. If it is not an emergency or if it cannot be paid off in full the following month, it should not be charged.
2) Keep track of your spending. Once you have determined where exactly your money is going, it will be easier to see where you can cut back. The extra money can be used to pay off credit cards.
3) Pack in your lunch at least 3 days a week. Spending money on lunch everyday is a definite money waster. Eating out is expensive, so rather pack in your lunch and save some money.
4) Instead of going to the movies, rent a movie and spend some time with the family at home.
5) Have a pizza party and invite friends to make and create their own pizzas instead of ordering out.
6) Buy in bulk and freeze dinners. This saves you time and money.
7) Instead of buying expensive gifts and cards on birthdays and anniversaries, why not hand make them? It is much more personal and thoughtful and will save you heaps of cash.
8 ) Try not to shop at boutiques and expensive department stores. Instead, why not browse through thrift shops, discount stores and yard sales. Who knows, you may well find something you like at a much cheaper rate.
10) If possible, pay more than your minimum payments on credit cards on a monthly basis. If the balance of your credit card is high and you only pay the minimum amount due, you will take much longer to pay that balance off, which will add interest as well. By paying just an extra 50 GBP a month towards your balance, you will not only save money on interest, but you will have your debt paid off so much sooner.
Before you can live a debt free life, you have to become debt free. These are just some of the few tips you have to follow in order to obtain financial freedom and security and live a debt free existence.
With just a little effort and thought, you will find many ways of saving money. Look at the things you spend money on and find ways to reduce or even completely eliminate them. With a little willpower and determination, you too will be able to enjoy a debt free and prosperous future.